Monday 29 September 2014

Reforging lost dreams

Still going through a stressful period of my life.  My dog died just recently from cancer, and home life has been a little stressful for various reasons

On the upside, my theatre classes have turned out to be very good as a form of social and physical therapy, as I am still building back leg strength from the ankle break from June.  The Theatre crowd is a pretty fun bunch, and I've managed to avoid alienating them so far with my antics.  While it is an upper level course,  I've been able to keep pace with everyone else, thanks to the experience gained through my background in English and visual arts, as well as role playing.  While I ended up getting a backstage role in the Christmas production, I'm not too bothered by not getting an acting role.  A lot of theatre students end up working behind the scenes, and It'll still be cool that my cousin and I will be working with the same Director, even though we live in different provinces. 

More interesting than that, is what I've been doing in my self directed new media course.  With it being a self directed program this semester, I've been excitedly delving into learning to create video games using preexisting programming suites.  It's been really exiting, as I've managed to make more progress from two weeks of self - directed study than I had through both grades 11 and 12 in high school.  I'm not saying that what I'm doing is amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but It could be feasibly be possible to be an independent video game designer on my own, even if only as a side hobby or as a component of something bigger.  To me at least, this will put game design as yet another medium in my tool belt as a modern day renaissance man.

This semester again wasn't what I had initially planned for.  It was brought on by financial hardships because of my physical injury from a few months prior.  Still, it's been showing me that my life so far hasn't been the train wreck I sometimes see it as.  I am a unique and talented person, and while I haven't yet found myself in my ideal career, I have done some amazing things, and have picked up a lot of of knowledge and skills from a lot of different areas,  that do begin to come together in some interesting ways.  I'm not sure what next semester will hold, whether I will be back to the painting trade, or spending another semester in school,  but this semester has shown me that my interests, talents, and experiences are building towards a bright and amazing future.  I don't know when it will be, exactly, and what form it will ultimately take, but I know it's there, and I'll be able to reach it eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment